sacreddreamcatcher
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
sacreddreamcatcher

Native American Herb group

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Benefits of Herbs And Essential Oils

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Benefits of Herbs And Essential Oils Empty The Benefits of Herbs And Essential Oils Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

The Benefits of Herbs And Essential Oils

For thousands of years the human race has used herbs in a variety of ways. These uses can be placed into three distinctive groups;

religious, culinary and medicinal. In the article below we shall debate each of these categories in order focusing upon medical uses and

essential oils.

Throughout history there have been many other uses of herbs which we will not be examining here and these include them being used

as cash, as a disinfectant and as a perfume or powerful smell to mask sickening odors. Herbs come from many parts of the planet and

each culture commonly had unusual uses for them. It is interesting to note that the Ancient Egyptians, Ancient Greek and Sumerians,

the Romans all wrote about them in detail and other writings exist from Ancient India and China. We shall be focusing on modern uses.

Religious Uses Of Herbs

Herbs are still used in many across the globe. The majority of Christians will recall myrrh from the Nativity (myrrh is the dried sap of

Commiphora myrrha). Hindus will be very familiar with the Tulsi plant, which is a species of Basil, as it is cultivated by many and praised

as a Goddess. In Pagan beliefs herbs are utilized extensively in spells, rituals as well as for healing.

Using Herbs In Cooking

The leaves of various plants are used in the kitchen but there is a distinction between leafy vegetables, such as cabbage, and a herb,

such as sage, in that the latter are used in minute amounts due to their distinctive, and powerful flavor. Virtually every person in the

world has benefited from the these amazing plants which are capable of lifting the blandest meal into the realms of a culinary

masterpiece.

The Medical Uses of Herbs

As well as being intense in flavor a herb can also have a profound effect upon the human body. Some types are used as recreational

drugs, such as cannabis, which can cause legal problems as they can also have useful medical properties which are still being

investigated by scientists.

Essential Oils

An essential oil is the substance extracted from a variety of plants. Essential oils are commonly created by the method called distillation

but some require a different process of extraction such as expression or solvent extraction.

Essential oils have a number of uses, such as perfumes, bath oils, flavorings, burning (for scent) and in cleaning products. However the

majority of folk know of their use in medicine and especially in aromatherapy and other forms of alternative medicine. I use lavender oil

in a variety of ways, I add it to my mixture for my oil burner to make the room smell nice but I also use about three drops in a bath when

I suffer from achy limbs. When my limbs are very painful I gently rub it into the muscles but only when it is mixed with a carrier oil. As

well as helping to relax the muscles it also helps me sleep better.

Herbs should be handled with immense care and attention as some can be extremely toxic to the human body (in large quantities).

Special care should be taken if you are about to have a baby as something that you may consider safe could be dangerously

problematic, such as peppermint oil which should not be used in its raw state. However spearmint and a few other mild oils can be used

but to avoid the risk of miscarriage you should avoid all herbs and essential oils unless you know for definite they are safe.

The awesome thing about herbs is that growing your own is as hard as buying a herb kit and placing it near a window. To discover more

visit http://store.landscapinginfo4u.com/

http://www.herbworldblog.com/page/2

https://sacreddreamcatcher.rpg-board.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum